Monday, October 26, 2009

Auto Pilot

When I posted a month ago I thought I was ready to jump back into blogging. Now I realize that it wasn't so. A combination of auto pilot, boredom, and no time kept me away.


Auto-Pilot
I've finally found a system that I like. We're still doing the 80% to the household 20% for fun/hobbies split. My husband is in his high earning season, the perfect time for us to move to paying everything from his portion of the household money. His check has been paying the mortgage, Prius payment, utilities, insurance escrow and household credit card bill. Some of his check has also gone into what I have named the 'low months fund.' This fund will balance the upcoming months when my husband's checks take a dive. My check is going to the emergency fund, extra car payments, and another new ING sub account, house savings.

The new house savings account is for things like furniture, that are too expensive to just add to a month. Though we've live in our house for more than a year with the exception of my nightstand and 2 bookcases we haven't purchased any furniture since going from small condo. I've been the one holding back on spending but I think this gives us a responsible way to put funds aside to make out house more inviting. On my short list-dining table, sofa, outdoor table.

Boredom
Maybe boredom isn't the right word. I'm just not as excited as I once was about personal finance. Amongst my friends I'm still the pf nerd, answering questions and making suggestions. When I started this blog I'd get ideas while driving around and a lack of posts usually indicated a lack of time to type them up. I haven't been getting the ideas. I scroll through my reader regularly but I have more than 600 articles hanging out. This morning I cut a few mega blogs that post multiple times a day.

Also contributing to the boredom- no matter what I do out next financial goal is at least a year off. Our current debts (Prius, my brain aka student loans, house) are all more than $20,000. I have interim goals (Prius @ $20,000 by beginning of 2010), but they're just not as exciting.

Lack of time
I've been working at the museum every weekend, in addition to the 45-50 hours I put in at my daytime gig. The temperatures have dropped, yesterday was our 3rd light snow this season, meaning my need to create has exploded. Currently I have 2 scarves and a kitchen mat in progress. This weekend I sewed 2 cosmetic bags for my new purse. The cue of projects is long and the time to work on them is short.

That's where I am this month. I may be back later this week, but maybe not. I hope you're doing well.

No comments: