Thursday, September 11, 2008

Water Bottle Alternative

This is a really basic tip, so basic that I almost didn't post it.

When the latest warnings about BPA and Nalgene bottles came out I decided to retire the bottles I currently have. I plan on buying a Sigg bottle, but they're not cheap and I haven't gotten around to it yet.

In the mean time, I've gone old school. I brought a couple of cups to the office and bring a travel mug with water into the car. At work I keep the cups in my cabinet and use them as needed for water and tea. I store them in one of my cabinets and wash them out at the end of the day. I use them as needed, wash them out at the end of the day, and keep them in a cabinet.

Since I spend the majority of my time in my car, at work, or at home this works well for me. It keeps me from spending a lot of money on bottled water and saves the resources that go into making plastic bottles.

For more frugal and green ideas check out Thrifty Green Thursday.

3 comments:

Cathy said...

That's great--it's crazy to not use travel coffee cups for water. I do it, too, b/c Siggs are so pricey.

Rebecca said...

I really try to avoid plastic bottles, too. One thing I did, which is definitely cheaper than a Sigg bottle, is buy a single serving of iced tea from Whole Foods that came in a glass bottle. I then reused that bottle all summer for water, homemade iced tea, or whatever! That cost me about $1, has no toxins, AND came with a drink inside.

Thanks for joining us for Thrifty Green Thursday!

Anonymous said...

I think this is great! I'm also (someday) going to post about washing out glass bottles for re-use. Snapple bottles work well, cost very little, and can be refilled and refrigerated for the week all at once. Thanks for joining us this Thrifty Green Thursday!