Thursday, September 11, 2008

Water Bottle Alternative

This is a really basic tip, so basic that I almost didn't post it.

When the latest warnings about BPA and Nalgene bottles came out I decided to retire the bottles I currently have. I plan on buying a Sigg bottle, but they're not cheap and I haven't gotten around to it yet.

In the mean time, I've gone old school. I brought a couple of cups to the office and bring a travel mug with water into the car. At work I keep the cups in my cabinet and use them as needed for water and tea. I store them in one of my cabinets and wash them out at the end of the day. I use them as needed, wash them out at the end of the day, and keep them in a cabinet.

Since I spend the majority of my time in my car, at work, or at home this works well for me. It keeps me from spending a lot of money on bottled water and saves the resources that go into making plastic bottles.

For more frugal and green ideas check out Thrifty Green Thursday.


Cathy said...

That's great--it's crazy to not use travel coffee cups for water. I do it, too, b/c Siggs are so pricey.

Rebecca said...

I really try to avoid plastic bottles, too. One thing I did, which is definitely cheaper than a Sigg bottle, is buy a single serving of iced tea from Whole Foods that came in a glass bottle. I then reused that bottle all summer for water, homemade iced tea, or whatever! That cost me about $1, has no toxins, AND came with a drink inside.

Thanks for joining us for Thrifty Green Thursday!

Greenbaby said...

I think this is great! I'm also (someday) going to post about washing out glass bottles for re-use. Snapple bottles work well, cost very little, and can be refilled and refrigerated for the week all at once. Thanks for joining us this Thrifty Green Thursday!