Monday, April 28, 2008

my body getting in the way

Yesterday I did what I thought would be the last grocery shopping of the month. I hadn't run the numbers, but I knew I was just under the budget ($150) I set for the household. I gave myself the proverbial pat on the back an moved on.

Fast forward 24 hours and I'm $20 over. I'm blaming it on my immune system. It's always been overzealous (a listing of my allergies could take up a whole post) and this morning it decided to hit me full force. By 10:30 I gave in and took an antihistamine to combat the hives and swollen lips. The rest of the day was spent in a drug induced fog.

5 calls later I have an appointment with an allergist, only problem is that it's a week from now, and in the mean time I can't take any antihistamine*. Which equals doing my best not to eat the things I think are driving my body crazy. The problem? The suspected culprit is in 85% of what I eat. On the drive home I started brainstorming dinner. The first five things I came up with are all out. An examination of the fridge and grocery store confirmed that I didn't have much on hand to deal with the new eating plan.

In the grand scheme of things an extra $20 for health reasons is not much. But gosh is it frustrating.

In other news we found a house we loved, put in an offer, and lost.


*I guess I can take antihistamine, but if I do I'll have to push back finding out what's wrong.

No comments: