Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Hitting Home

Today the recession and the stimulus both hit a little closer to home.

So far only one person I know (a friend of a friend) had been laid off. I guess my mom (real estate agent) makes two. Today my company's fiscal agent, a large nonprofit, laid off 9 people during a restructuring. One was my main point of contact for a portion of my work.

Earlier in the day I was at a table where organizations discussed how stimulus dollars may make their way down. Their was hope, anticipation of quick turnarounds, and uncertainty what (funds and requirements) they will receive. It seems that the funds relating to my industry have made it to the state level or should be there any day now.

It's a weird juxtaposition.

The staff for my organization are all ok- at least through June when fiscal years end. Though if anything we're probably looking at pay cuts. It also doesn't seem like we'll be receiving any stimulus funds, at least not directly.

No comments: