Monday, March 9, 2009

The Rec

Before we moved I had an on again off again membership with my gym. I used it enough that I felt I got my money's worth, though not enough to be as healthy as I want.

When we were looking at houses I had all sorts of things that went into a matrix- proximity to schools, parks & grocery stores, room for us to grow, and space for a garden are just a few. Nearby gyms did not make the list. When we moved in the only commercial gym was a Curves, which I just wasn't feeling. Anything else is more than a 20 minute drive, which means I wouldn't go. I work downtown and everything I've looked at in that vicinity is more than I'm willing to pay (we're talking $60-120/month). I have figured out some things to do from home but I like machines that can give me stats.

The solution? Our local recreation centers. Growing up the rec center was a place to go swimming or keep out of trouble, but not really a gym. In my new city most of the rec centers have standard gym machines (treadmills, ellipticals, bikes, weights, etc). There are two within 15 minutes of our house and more across the city. The even better part- it's around $13/month when you buy three months at a time.

The main downside is that they are closed on Sundays. My friend's solution- Sundays are to get out and explore the trails just outside the city.

No comments: