Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Striking Earth Day

Over at the Green Baby Guide Rebecca does Earth Day resolutions. I wanted to come up with one or two this year, but honestly there's something a little more pressing weighing on my mind.


Gameboy belongs to a union and on Monday they announced that the chances of a strike in the next month or two are high. Probably in the 95% range. Management has proposed going 100% commission, dropping vacation time, and a long list of other things.

This has been a nagging worry in the back of my mind. How long will they strike? How will this affect summer income? What about health insurance? What will this mean for his long term employment?

It doesn't help that our efund was recently accessed. I'm still working on a plan but over the next weeks I'll increase the number of families I babysit for and other side jobs. We'll be paying off my car and putting aside the rest of the money for our appliances when we get our tax refund. I'm also going to try to save most of Gameboy's checks until the probable strike date (two checks).

I'm not panicking. We're at a point where we live on 2.75/4 paychecks each month. There are also things built into our system (ie self escrowing) that we can change for a month or two if we need to.

No comments: