Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Snacks on the go

I've realized that I talk about food a lot on this blog. I have a hard time parting with more than $40 at a time (an additional part of the dilemma in yesterday's post) but going out to eat and other food spending was derailing my nonbudget.* As a result I look for ways to keep myself away from restaurants and drive-thrus.

I spend a lot of time in my car. Most is work, but there’s also errand running, socializing, and the different ways I earn money on the side. Some days this means going from the office to an event without time to stop home for dinner. Other days work visits run late and by the time I get back to my car I could eat a vegetarian horse.

To help tide me over until I can get to real food I keep a bag of snacks in the car. Right now its 100 cal snack packs. Over the winter I did a research study that involved snack packs and at the end they gave me boxes and boxes to take home. When those run out I’ll probably make my own snack packs with dried fruit, trail mix, and whatever else I can think up.

To keep my car from looking like a vending machine I stash the snack packs in a tote bag on the floor of the back seat.** Any time I feel hungry or start thinking about a Starbucks run I reach into the backseat and grab a snack.

Thats what works for me!

*I didn't have an official budget until recently. My previous method was to keep a running tally of approximately how much went onto the credit card for the month, trying to stay below a preset amount.

**I live in a two person child free household. As a result the back seat is rarely used. Some other options at the glove compartment and the hump between the front seats.

4 comments:

Britni said...

I do this exact same thing. I have a drawer full of healthy snacks in small ziploc bags at work. These include healthy Kashi crackers, nuts, dried fruits, etc.

Leah said...

great idea! i always try to keep snacks for both my daughter and myself in her diaper bag, but seems like i'm always forgetting me! and cheerios just don't cut it! (OOOPS!) and there goes at least $7 to starbucks *sigh*

Britni said...

You can definitely join in... just start now!

Mrs. Brownstone @ XBOX Wife said...

This is a really awesome tip! I'm going to make some up this weekend.