Thursday, March 20, 2008

Spring!

Today was my version of a perfect spring day. Minus going to work that is. The temperature ranged from the high 60's to the low 70's, light breeze, and sunny.

What does this have to do with personal finance you ask? A big part of it is that I'm a warm weather person. Winter usually means trying to stay indoors as much as possible. Get togethers with friends and avoiding going stir crazy usually result in trips to places like restaurants, malls, and movie theaters. I don't think I need to expound on why those can all be negative for the finances. When the weather is nice meeting up with friends can be a picnic in a park, hiking, or some other free/low cost activity.

I'm tempted to tear the winterizing plastic off of the single paned windows and open the house up. But I'll keep in mind that March is the snowiest month in my state. And that we had a snowstorm on Monday.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

I envy your warm weather.... we had temps in the 30's and snow. Today when I drove into work it was 25.

When spring comes in increase my "fun money" by $50-100 to account for going out more. It doesn't kill my budget but it does let me hang with friends.

sara l said...

One of the things I love about my town is the outdoorsiness and the plethora of outdoor low cost activities. We'll likely decrease our fun money. Which makes me very excited.