Tuesday, June 10, 2008

How to Confuse a Customer Service Supervisor

There are times where I'm willing to pay a bit more for good service. I've banked online with ING since 2001 and though I thought about leaving them earlier this year I stayed because I've always had stellar customer service. I'm 'paying' by not having the absolute highest rate available, but the accounts never cost me any stress. It's a trade-off I'm willing to make.

Tonight I called one of my credit card companies to ask a few questions about the rewards and a weird payment thing.* The customer service rep on the other end of the line was amazing. He was exuberant, patient, and knowledgeable. From the moment he answered I had a smile on my face because I could feel his smile coming through. After I asked 8-10 questions (did I mention patient?) I asked if I could be transfered to his supervisor. He sounded a little hesitant and asked my if I would tell him the reason. I let him know I wanted to compliment his service.

After 2 minutes of bad hold music (really customer service places, what's up with the bad music) I got a supervisor who sounded a bit worn down. I let him know about my great service, giving details, and he seemed utterly shocked. He said thank you and didn't really know where to go from there. I explained that usually I'm letting managers know about problems but that in this case the service was so great I wanted to let them know. Again, he seemed a bit shocked, but happy enough to move forward and clumsily end the call.

What things are you willing to pay a bit more for?
And have you had great customer service recently?

*You can only pay once in 24 hours which is irritating but now I know my computer isn't crazy.

3 comments:

Shuchong said...

Yay! It's great to hear about a *good* customer service experience for once.

One of the reasons I like Vanguard so much is that they have great customer service. Also, believe it or not, once you get past the (surprisingly pleasant) hold music, I've always found the IRS to be knowledgeable and helpful.

SpillingBuckets said...

Haha, that post made me smile. I'm really glad you spoke to the supervisor, even if he was confused - too often good employees go unnoticed while the bad ones get all the attention.

Which company was this?

sara l said...

@shuchong- I've also good luck with the IRS
@ spillingbuckets-It was American Express.