Tuesday, June 3, 2008

When you run out of the essentials



One day last week I really wanted some biscuits. I measured out the flour and salt, mixed in the cheddar, chopped up the onion (I was making cheddar/spring onion biscuits), and realized I didn't have any baking powder.

In general I'm not a big fan of making lot's of random trips to the grocery store. It tends to send the budget through the roof, wastes gas, and more importantly, I wanted the biscuits 10 minutes ago. Instead I turned to our friend Google. I'll spare you the science, but in a pinch the recipe below will work. I haven't looked at prices recently to know if this is more/less expensive than the regular stuff, but I will next time I visit the grocery store.

For 1 teaspoon (tsp) of baking powder:
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cream of tarter
1/4 tsp of cornstarch

UPDATE: This doesn't really fit the WFMW theme, but with kids I babysit/younger family I love baking on a rainy day. Who wants to go in search of baking powder in the rain with kids? My second favorite rainy summer day activity- running around in the rain.

3 comments:

SpillingBuckets said...

It worked? They came out ok?

This is great to know, thanks.

sara l said...

It worked wonderfully! I don't even understand how I got anything done before google.

Anonymous said...

*wow* I didn't even know this was possible! Cool tip!

PS: Congrats on your emergency fund! I am sooo far behind you and only have recently even begun addressing my money stuff ... it's time! You are my inspiration! :)